Tuesday 17 November 2020

Makeover Magic (Part 1/7 - Earthy)

 This is part one of a seven part short story. Given seven "daily writing prompts" to use in the form of opening phrase/sentences, I decided to combine these into a single story. I'm not sure what led to light horror / mystery thriller [if that indeed is what this is (!)] but I hope it satisfies...

Part 1 - Earthy

"Their hands make me want to quit my job and move as far from them as I can," said Jane, shuddering at a memory. I'd not seen her this unsettled since... well, never mind that. 

 "Have they done something in particular?"  

"No, it's not that. They just weird me out."

Jane worked in Melvin's - a small diner near to an industrial site. One of the businesses - Makeover Magic - had been there around six months and no-one really knew what they did. Frankly, no-one was much bothered since they kept to themselves. When they started to take on casual employees for what they called manual work they became of more interest. The new work hands had started to visit the diner about a week ago. 

 Jane leaned towards me as she refilled my coffee. "They are polite, I'll give you that. Oddly so. They all talk the same way, use the same phrases. And I recognise one of them from the old youth club. He never used to talk that way." 

 "So they've got good manners? Is that it?" 

 "You think I'm imagining it?" 

 I regarded the woman before me. I'd known her since my school days and had never thought her overly imaginative. She was a hard-working practical sort, and I admit I liked her. One could be relaxed in her friendly company. If something was worrying her, the odds were that she had good cause. 

 "No, I don't think you're imagining it, but it can't be just their politeness." 

"Well, they smell a bit - earthy." 

 "Earthy?" 

 "You know. If you water your houseplants, sometimes you get a smell of... I don't know... soil?" 

 "Not many houseplants in my flat, but I know what you mean." 

 "And their complexion doesn't look that healthy." 

 "Makeover Magic?" 

 The tension lessened with her laugh. "No, you idiot. I thought at first they just looked a bit grimy, but it's not that. I think they look a bit green."


(To be continued...)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment